Our boxers are in my corner

Our boxers are in my corner

Monday, November 21, 2016

Post transplant D+5: Isolation coping strategies :So far things are moving along just as they should in my recovery

Recovery at this point means staying in isolation with only the nurses, cleaning ladies, and doctors allowed to enter the room. My environment must stay as sterile as possible so that I am not exposed to germs.The staff has taken extremely good care of me and my environment.

Living in isolation was something of an unknown to me and how well I would handle it. Mostly I an an extrovert so it was a concern that I would look like Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" after just a day or two.But to the contrary it has been down right comfortable and I think I blessing for my recovery. I get plenty of rest, especially when my body is telling me to lie down and nap.

Prior to trekking all the way to Russia and then try to figure out how to occupy my time I made a concerted effort to have coping strategies in place. For me it has helped tremendously. My mind is busy which gets my body moving. No time to just lay down and stare at the ceiling wondering how much longer will it be before I can step out the isolation door and breathe freedom.

Allow me to share some of my coping strategies that have helped me a great deal. I am mindful that my coping strategies are not universal and may be detrimental for others. However, I think the point is a very important one, because a person will need the power of the brain on their side to fight through adversary in times like this. Being mentally positive is most certainly beneficial in healing and recovery. Having a positive outlook will lead a person to get up and do things rather than stay laying down and doing nothing. Perhaps even slumber into a state of depression, which inevitably be harmful to healing and recovery

Here are some coping strategies for dealing with boredom in isolation. Of course, the list could almost go on endlessly. Find what works for you and I think your stay in isolation will be much more comfortable, relaxing, and rejuvenating.BTW, introverts may not even need any coping strategies. They are in bliss just being in solitude. It's helpful to know oneself to craft an effective strategy.


  • Crossword puzzles
  • Sudoku
  • Follow the news back home and around the world
  • Netflix-find a good series and binge watch
  • Christmas shopping (purchased two gifts and researching more) remember its Black Friday upon us
  • Instant message other patients that we have bonded with prior to isolation
  • Video call and phone call friends and family back home
  • Prior to entering isolation we made several grocery runs to the store. I cook many of my own meals. Takes up some idol time and I can flavor the food as I wish. (I did bring several spices from home)
  • Brought study material for work in the event I wanted to work on a project or two. ( Brain Fog has not allowed me to do any study work) But it would have kept me busy if I felt that I would benefit from it.
  • Have streamed two sporting events on my laptop
These is just a small sample of things that future HSCT patients can think about and add to your repertoire of filling in empty time. From my perspective keeping the mind in a good place is paramount to healing and recovery. In some small way this post maybe will help others find their "happy place" while recovering here.

My blood numbers are tracking course just as Dr. Fedorenko was expecting. No surprises are good surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment